I was ever-so-innocently searching for diy instructions for making pasties (with tassels!) when I came across the craigslist ad for a Burlesque Craft Class. It’s taught by You Show Girl! Burlesque.
the august 15th class…
Pasties, And Sparklies and Feather Fans OH MY!
Tonight is a true DIY T&A crafting class!
Miss Beretta gives you the basic supplies to craft your own pair of pasties!
We will also cover rhinestoning 101, re-upholstering a bra and making luxe shimmy belts.
Part II of class we will make our own basic “shake dancer fan” using
Bella’s tried and true formula for non-collapsing feather fans.
It sounds kind of fun. If I lived in LA I think I’d go check it out.
I had a good sized cardboard box, a bunch of white tissue paper, and these instructions. So I made a lightbox. This is good because I have a huge sliding door in my apartment which lets in a ton of light…sometimes too much light.
The light box really helps diffuse the light so that I don’t get big shadows. I can also still shoot on my table. Most of my photos are taken on that table so I like consistency. It’s also nice to know i can also use a long sheet of paper to make a seamless background for photos as well.
So once I made the light box I had to take some photos…of hats. Yes, more hats!
So I love this first hat. When I was buying the Berocco Peruvia to make Vanessa’s hat I also picked up some brown, orange, and green to make one for myself. At the time I had no idea Peruvia was a new yarn. The colors are heathered, but not as heathered as they look in some photos. It’s very soft and at $8 for 100g it’s a reasonable price. I should also point out that what looked like yellow in Vanessa’s hat was really my orange. I love color theory!
So anyway this is knit on size 9 needles starts out with a 2″ band of k2p2. I might even make it a little longer next time since I really like the way the band looks. Then I just did 3 rows of each color. I tried the jogless jog technique for changing colors and it really works. You can see my color changes along the left side. They don’t look so great but that was more my spastic end weaving then the technique. I do know that next time I need to wrap or pull the ends tighter since there were slight gaps that I was trying to sew closed. I still have tons of yarn left so I might make another similar hat with a green band, since the brown kind of blends in with my dark brown hair.
Lastly is the waffle hat. I can’t remember what this yarn is but when I first started knitting it pooled horrible and then I somehow manged to cast on the magic number of stitches where it doesn’t pool. It’s 3 rows of k3p3 and 3 rows of k. I wear it inside out sincen I really like how the variagated yarn looks in reverse stockinette.